Production Rebates in Sweden
Are you going to produce a feature film, drama series, documentary film or documentary series in Sweden? Now it is possible to receive Swedish production rebates.
The support is intended for the production of audiovisual works, (feature films, drama series, documentary films or documentary series). It is permanent support from 2022 and consists of a total of SEK 100 million per year. Only companies may apply for the support.
The support is a production incentive, which amounts to a discount of 25% on production costs. This means that a company whose main business activity is the production or post-production of audiovisual works can apply for support for part of the cost of a production and then receive it in the form of a reimbursement after the costs have been incurred. Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth is administrating the incentive system.
Ordinance (2022:1386) on state aid for the production of audiovisual works
sets the following support-eligibility requirements for a production:
- that the production takes place in whole or in part in Sweden,
- that the total budget of the production amounts to at least SEK 30 million for a feature film, at least SEK 10 million for a documentary film, at least SEK 10 million per episode for a drama series, or at least SEK 5 million per episode for a documentary series,
- that the support-eligible production costs amount to at least SEK 4 million,
- that the production’s financing is confirmed for the part for which support is not sought,
- that the production is classified as a cultural product based on a list of cultural criteria in drawn up in advance by the Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth.
The purpose of the support is to increase the number of audiovisual works that are produced in whole or in part in Sweden. Applications are processed on a first-come first-served basis, and support is provided to the extent that funding is available.